A summary of our road trip and some top tips. Read more on my Scotland’s North Coast 500 blog post.
Where We Stayed
At No. 9, Dornoch. £120 B&B. atno9.co.uk
Aiden House B&B, Durness. £80 B&B aidenhouse.co.uk
The Albannach, Lochinver. £280 D,B&B thealbannach.co.uk
Solas B&B, Big Sand, Gairloch £75 B&B solasbandb.co.uk
Food and Drink
Luigi, Dornoch. luigidornoch.com
Castle Hotel, Dornoch. dornochcastlehotel.com
Sango Sands, Durness. sangosands.com
Cocoa Mountain, Balnakiel. cocoamountain.co.uk
Kylesku Hotel, Kylesku. kyleskuhotel.co.uk
The Albannach, Lochinver. thealbannach.co.uk
Oran-Na-Mara, Drumchork. eweview.com/cafe/
Myrtle Bank Hotel, Gairloch. themyrtlegairloch.co.uk
Whistle Stop Café, Kinlochewe, IV22 2PF.
Road Trip Top Tips
– Allow at least three night stops on the NC500.
– Travel in the summer to make the most of the long daylight hours- and of course for better chances against the wild Scottish weather.
– Pack for all seasons- this is Scotland after all!
– Take plenty of insect repellent in the summer.
– Book B&Bs early in high season, as the best ones fill up quickly.
– Travelling in a caravan or camper van would give you greater flexibility, especially with children; it also means that if you get drenched hillwalking or are brave enough for a dip, you can change into warm dry clothes and have a cuppa and a snack wherever you happen to be.
– Most of the villages in between our night stops were small with very limited facilities- don’t expect a wide choice of cafés and lunch stops along the way. If you’re hungry or low on fuel and you pass a place, stop there!